Photo Credit: Getty Images
Pope Francis has been discharged from the Gemelli hospital in Rome after offering a blessing from his window, his first public appearance since being admitted on February 14. Doctors say the 88-year-old pontiff will require at least two months of rest at the Vatican to recover fully.
During the past five weeks, he presented "two very critical episodes" where his "life was in danger", Dr Sergio Alfieri, one of the doctors treating the Pope, said.
"Pope Francis was never intubated and always remained alert and oriented, " Dr Alfieri said. Even though the Pope is not completely healed, he no longer has pneumonia and will return to work as soon as possible, if the trend continues, doctors say.
Mayor of Rome Roberto Gualtieri said he felt "a really great joy, great emotion to see Pope Francis leaving the hospital. It's a great gift to the city and to the world... we support him and feel really close to him."
A crowd of people gathered outside the hospital on Sunday, waiting for the Pope to appear.
"When I saw him I felt, to be honest, a little relieved," said Bishop Larry Kulick, from the Diocese of Greensburg in the US state of Pennsylvania.
The Pope had only previously been seen by the public once since he was admitted to hospital, in a photograph released by the Vatican last week, which showed him praying in a hospital chapel.
Earlier this month, an audio recording of Pope Francis was played in St Peter's Square in Vatican City. His voice was breathless as he thanked the Catholic faithful for their prayers.
Pope Francis has spent 12 years as leader of the Roman Catholic Church.
He has suffered a number of health issues throughout his life, including having part of one of his lungs removed at age 21, making him more prone to infections.