
Photo credit: Getty images
Cristiano Ronaldo has given a hint that he could retire from professional football after the current season, saying he wants to leave the sport with what he described as a "spectacular legacy."
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the comments in an interview with Vogue published Sunday, as he reflected on his career and what life could look like after football.
"This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy," Ronaldo said.
Ronaldo has enjoyed a career spanning more than two decades, beginning with his senior debut for Sporting CP in 2002. He went on to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus before joining Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr in 2023.
His current contract with Al-Nassr runs until June 2027.
Ronaldo acknowledged that stepping away from football could leave a significant gap in his life after spending so much of it competing at the highest level. He said he already has plans for his future, including spending more time with his family, travelling and playing padel, a sport he enjoys.
"Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one. And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I've earned—what we've earned." he said.
His comments come after the 2026 World Cup, which Ronaldo had previously identified as his final appearance at the tournament. It was his sixth World Cup, although Portugal's campaign ended in the round of 16.
Speaking about his international future in July, Ronaldo said he wanted to enjoy the tournament as much as possible and hoped his final World Cup would not mean his immediate final game for Portugal.
He also reflected on the physical and personal demands of his career, saying, "After all, it's been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice."


